The Pumpkin Chase 5K and 30K Virtual Race benefiting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is starting today! Don’t get spooked and sign up here: No Heels Just Sneakers – Virtual Races
Race Recap Summary:
Race course = Great!
Finish-Line festivities = Poor!
It’s the fifth time I am running this race. First in 2009 as a full marathon and then as half marathons. This year the course changed and everyone freaked out before the race – including me. LOL.
But really there was no need for this. I LOVED the new course (Darn it! This makes me want to run it again…). Even the hill at mile 10 had nothing on me. It probably helped that we ran it during several Team in Training runs.
Read the full race recap here: No Heels Just Sneakers – Nike Women’s Half Marathon San Francisco 2014 – Race Recap
This is the fifth time I am running the Nike race in San Francisco. My first Nike Women’s race was the Full Marathon in 2009. Then I learned you get the Tiffany’s necklace when you run the half marathon. Hence, with all subsequent races I took the smarter, “I am only half crazy” option of the half marathon.
View my full re-race report on No Heels Just Sneakers – Getting ready for the Nike Women’s Half Marathon 2014.
I don’t think people have talked about Facebook as much as today any time recently. #facebookdown was trending on Twitter all day.
As I was talking (actually talking!!) to my colleagues about FB being down, we started trolling Twitter (as you do when one social network is down you go to the next one…).
We came up with our list of things to do when Facebook is down:
1. Take a photo out of your wallet and ask people to like it.
2. Actually carry a photo in your wallet.
3. When going to the gym, shout out loud at the entrance: “I am at the gym”.
4. Don’t go to the gym since no one will see that you went.
5. Wish a random person on the street Happy Birthday.
6. Ask a stranger to be your friend.
7. Tell a stranger that you like that they are at the same lunch place you are.
8. Call all your friends to tell them you just ate a doughnut.
9. Call all your friends to tell them that Facebook is down, ’cause nothing else is really important right now.
10. Get off Facebook forever, ’cause it’s not reliable and move over to G+.
Obviously, we had nothing better to do in the office this morning. LOL!
I also learned that there is a condition called “social media addiction”. Oh my!
Here are some of my favorite tweets:
Easily my favorite race this year. This was our Team in Training official spring race. I volunteered as a Team in Training mentor this spring and 2 of my mentees ran this race. For both of them it was the first race they ever completed. It felt like such an honor to be there with them as they achieved their goals.
We were staying at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo and if you have never been there, check it out. It is different.
This was my room. It is one panoramic photo.
Broken up in several photos it looks like this:
The race was actually quite nice. It was hilly, but hilly half marathons seem to be my specialty this year, so it didn’t make any top cut in my races this year. ;)
We passed vineyards and people tossing washers/horseshoes and I was tempted to just join any of them, but my running buddy wanted to make sure we reach the finish line sober and in time before closure (so serious… lol). We had tons of fun on the course, but somehow I missed taking pictures during the run.
Here is us at the finish line:
I loved my first virtual race so much that I thought I’d do it again! In April I raised over $1,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I would like to top this in June!
How does this work?
You can chose:
- Run or walk a 5K fun run any time in June and enjoy the midnight sun! Take your kids, your spouse, your best friend and run or walk together!
- Run or walk 30K in June. Run or walk 1K every evening and enjoy the midnight sun or break up the 30K any way you like. 30K is 18.64 miles.
How much will this cost?
$25 entry (profits will go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society). $30 for participants outside the USA.
What does my registration fee get me?
- the pride and joy of ditching the coach and enjoying summer nights outside
- a customized running bib
- a specially designed Midsummer Sun Kilomathon medal
- serious bragging rights!
- knowing that you helped find a cure for cancer! 100% of profits got to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!
Want to find out more and register?
Go to my No Heels Just Sneaker site for more information and registration!